Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Treat

From the kitchen I see you on the couch
where you are not supposed to be
where you are stretched out
just so
in expectation that the sunlight
that lay upon you yesterday
like a butter yellow blanket
will come again today
and I leave off scrubbing the sink
to come to you on the couch
and place before your nose
a large biscuit
bulk bin code 87789
because the sunlight you’re expecting
isn't forecast again until Thursday
because I would summon
that sun today if I could
for you
dog of my heart
but I can't
but I can give you a bone-shaped biscuit
and allow you to eat it on the couch
where you are not supposed to be

3 comments:

Boud said...

I love this! Let's hope the judges do too.

Sayre said...

Yes, yes, yes! This is wonderful and captures DOG so perfectly.

Katharine Holden said...

Thank you!