Saturday, December 5, 2015

Sitting on the ice looking at my bloody thigh

Sitting on the ice looking
at my bloody thigh
wishing to hell I could afford
the cost of digging my cell phone
out of my pocket and calling
for uniformed men and their
chariot
I looked around for a tree
or telephone pole
with which to haul myself up
to start the slow limp home
and I saw that the rising sun was sending
red streaks out into the sky
like the streaks of my blood in the snow
I said out loud
red sky in morning
sailor take warning
as if walking on icy sidewalks
is cousin to sailing the ocean

2 comments:

Sayre said...

Oh, no... Ice is so treacherous in so many ways. I've gone down a few times too when I lived in OKC. I hope it really WASN'T so bad that an ambulance was necessary! Love the last 5 lines - so poetic.

S said...

ICE (on sidewalks, steps, and roads) SUCKS.
- sherri h